Make your HVAC system really work for you (and cost your family less) in 2018
Like most, you probably made a few casual resolutions for 2018.
- Lose weight & eat better.
- Spend less on unnecessary expenses.
- Plan a trip.
- Find a new job.
You also may have some plans for your home too, such as renovating the kitchen, transforming your bathroom or updating the windows.
But before you make any moves on that, your family can get a lot out of a resolution to pay more attention to your home heating, home cooling, indoor air quality or hot water systems.
Paying more attention to those major appliances means you’ll pay less on home ownership expenses.
Home heating resolution: Get your furnace tuned up, finally
Why do your neighbours spend money on furnace maintenance?
- It saves them money by stopping minor problems from developing into major (and expensive) ones.
- It saves them money by maintaining the efficiency they paid for. A clogged up furnace will costs hundreds of dollars more to run for a year than a maintained unit.
- It saves them money by extending the lifespan of the furnace, so they don’t have to buy another one as soon as families who don’t invest in maintenance.
- It saves their lungs! Air quality inside depends largely on your furnace, and maintenance makes sure the air their families breathe is clean.
Home cooling resolution: Replace that old air conditioner
Although it’s hard to think about summer in the middle of winter, the Farmer’s Almanac June-to-August forecast London reads:
- “Summer will be hotter than normal, with rainfall below normal in Southwest Ontario and above normal elsewhere. The hottest periods will be in early and late June, early July, and mid- to late August.”
Your air conditioner is in for quite a workout.
And if you put off replacing your old AC with a newer model, there’s no better time than 2018 to actually do it.
Here are some telltale signs your existing air conditioner is ready to retire:
- It never gives you the temperature you want.
- It leaks like crazy.
- You found ice on it during the summer or fall.
- It stinks when you turn it on.
- It costs more to run than you think it should.
Indoor air quality resolution: Change your furnace filters often
Between work, school, family commitments and other day-to-day activities, remembering to change your furnace filters can get lost in the shuffle.
Here’s why it matters.
- Dirty or clogged furnace filters impede air flow, which costs you money.
- Excess dust circulates through your air filtration system and ends up on your clothes, on your furniture or in your lungs.
- You spend more time dusting your house than relaxing in it.
This resolution is actually quite easy to keep. Contact us to set up a maintenance protection plan.
Hot water resolution: Go tankless
What’s the difference between a tanked and tankless water heater (besides the obvious)?
One heats water 24/7 (whether you’re home or not) and one provides hot water on demand whenever you need it.
In 2018, you can stop…
- Paying for hot water you don’t use.
- Paying to store hot water as it cools.
Going tankless helps your family with:
- Energy-efficiency: When you turn on the hot water tap, a tankless water heater springs into action. When the tap’s off, it shuts down. According to the US Department of Energy, a tankless model can reduce energy usage by about 30%.
- Consistent hot water: A conventional water heater relies on a standing supply. If your teenagers get in the shower before you, chances are you’re in for a tepid shower when your turn comes. A tankless product heats water on demand, eliminating the chance of running out when you need it most.
- Long lifespan: On average, a tanked water heater lasts around 15 years. Tankless water heaters last more than 20 years, with proper maintenance.
Home comfort resolution: Don’t put it off
If you want more from your HVAC system and fewer expenses every month, we can help you keep that resolution.
Starting is incredibly easy:
- Contact us with your questions or comments
- Learn more about our Protection Plans